Saturday, April 26, 2008

Finally in April, it's Los Angeles


I can only blame accumulated fatigue for my failure to post about this month's Nikkatsu Action series screenings at the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian in Los Angeles, where I am now. The three-night series debuted Friday the 25th with a double feature of Gangster VIP and The Velvet Hustler. The audience was sizable, and their reaction was great - much applause, and praise afterward for the films, the big question being "how can I get these on DVD?" Answer: write Criterion about Velvet Hustler, and tell them you'd buy it if they release the disc, and that you want more Nikkatsu Action!

Here's the rest of the LA schedule:
Saturday, 4/26:
7:30 pm A Colt is My Passport
9:30 pm Glass Johnny: Looks Like a Beast

Sunday, 4/27:
7:30 pm The Warped Ones
9:30 pm Roughneck

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the coverage we got from The Boston Globe's Wesley Morris for The Warped Ones. "But with all due respect to Jean-Luc Godard, this is breathless - and more interesting, too." Strong praise, indeed! If you want to see this one on DVD, too, you know where to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thunderbolt Buddha said...

Mail about The Velvet Hustler sent.
*fingers crossed*

9:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Criterion pulled my trousers down to many times. Let's hope someone like Media-Blasters gets a hold of Nikkatsu flicks. They at least usually give proper releases, unlike the pricey bland criterion BS (at least from my limited experience).

any who, kudos on bringing the films to geeks like me.

I will miss "arakure" tomorrow in NYC. (kicks stone).

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home